Friday, May 20, 2011

Pet Peeve…Doctors Appointments

I generally dread standing on the scale at the doctor’s office.  I don’t know if they are trying to be nice, or if my body is an optical illusion, but the assistants always think I weigh 50 pounds less than I actually do.  They ask me to stand on their scale, and I cringe because I’m wearing jeans a sweatshirt and sneakers (none of which I wear when I properly weigh myself.)  They always place the bottom weight marker, measured by fifty, one hundred, one fifty, and so on, where they think it should be.  I then kindly ask them to raise it by 50 pounds. “Oh,” they always say, “it’s because you are so tall!”
No, it’s not because I’m tall, thank you for your kindness though.  It’s because I love cookies and candy.
I have had a yo-yo relationship with my weight ever since college, and have had the ability to drop about 20 pounds quickly due to spending countless hours at a gym, and eating crazy “diets.”  I did pageants throughout college for scholarship money, would be super thin for 3 months out of a year, and then binge when I finished.  Not healthy

When I first did WW I had amazing numerical results, but I was eating prepackaged meals for every meal of the day.  I was thirsty all of the time, and realized my sodium intake was out of control.  I never went out to eat because I was nervous that I wouldn’t know what the proper point amount was.  Bloated, thirsty, and cranky… Not healthy

This time, I am trying to do it right, and a more healthy way.  I am loosing little by little (sometimes miniscule amounts) but I’m still loosing.  And I’m proud of myself because I’m making huge lifestyle changes, and am familiarizing myself with portions and my kitchen.

However, today at the doctor’s office, after my awkward weighing, my doctor came in.  She looked at my chart, then me, and asked “Did you know that you have gained 12 lbs?”

Honestly, what girl my age would miss that fact? I know she was trying to be sweet, but I just shrugged it off, and said “last year I lost weight for my wedding.”  I wanted to point out that if she looked at my chart from 2 years ago, that she would find that I was actually 8 lbs lighter now than I was then.
I hate doctors weighing me, addressing the weight, and yet not really understanding how to properly discuss things with me.  I would have loved to tell her that since joining ww again I have lost 8 lbs, and that I am finding a new appreciation for the kitchen.  I’ve even conquered my lifelong distaste for squash.  I wanted to tell her about my renewed love for Weight Watchers, and how my husband inspires me to get in my activity. 

But no, she just wanted to point out the fact that the numbers have gone up since last year, and that she knew it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment